[C++-sig] Merging indexing_v2 to mainline

Raoul Gough RaoulGough at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Feb 16 18:18:20 CET 2008

[resending, as it never seemed to appear. apologies if you already have
this]

Roman Yakovenko wrote:
> On Feb 10, 2008 6:42 PM, Raoul Gough <RaoulGough at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> A few years ago I worked on a new implementation of container indexing
>> support in Boost.Python, which never made it onto the Boost mainline. I
>> seem to remember that Dave had some reservations about the amount of
>> detailed documentation on the way the implementation worked, but haven't
>> dredged up any old emails on this point.
>>
>> Since then, I haven't had much time to look at this, so the code has
>> always remained on the indexing_v2 branch. Nevertheless, I understand
>> that some people are using this code successfully, including pygccxml*,
>> so I was wondering if it would now be appropriate to merge this code
>> onto the mainline.
>>

> Good morning.
>
> I would like to take this chance and to say thank you - indexing suite
> v2 is very cool piece of software. I was even able to fix and add new
> features to it.

Hi Roman,

Thanks for your comments, and for using the code in the first place! I
heard that there were some emails on this list recently about
indexing_v2, which is what got me interested again.
> Thank you!
>
> By the way, PyOgre, one of the largest user of py++, is using the new
> indexing suite for year and we didn't find any problem with it.
>

>> I didn't keep up with the CVS to SVN conversion, so I'm not sure how
>> hard this would be to get done. Any opinions or advice on getting this
>> started?
>>

> Your suite is already in SVN:
> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/browser/sandbox-tags/indexing_20030918
> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/browser/sandbox-tags/indexing_v2

Ah, OK. I'm kind of new to SVN, but this looks like an earlier sandbox
version of the code, before I got it onto a branch in the main
repository in CVS. After that I did a lot of work on compiler
compatibility, helped by some generous support from Ralf
Grosse-Kunstleve, and Dave of course. I see that the branch got
"deleted" from SVN back in August 2007 (see
http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2007/08/125791.php) but you can
still find the most recent version of my indexing code here:

http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/browser/branches/indexing_v2?rev=38549

> Py++ object has "indexing suite v2" source code in its source tree
> too. Basically it contains few bug fixes and new features.

This sounds interesting - I've downloaded Py++-0.9.5.zip from
https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=118209 and can
see the indexing suite code in there alright. Does this work with the
latest versions of Boost, or do you need to use the version (1_31_0)
that indexing_v2 was originally developed with?

--
Cheers,
Raoul.