[DB-SIG] Our answer to Perl's DBI interface?

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.Va.US
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 11:05:23 -0400

This just got posted in the newsgroup.  How does Python measure up?

------- Forwarded Message

Date:    Mon, 14 Sep 1998 16:15:47 +0200
From:    Jochen Wiedmann <joe@ispsoft.de>
To:      python-list@cwi.nl
Subject: Re: Please advise: How to migrate from FoxPro to platform independent
	  database development.

Alan Vlach wrote:

> What path makes the most sense?  I'm thinking along these lines:
>
>         Basic core language:  perl or python
>         GUI:  Tk
>         Database:  PostgreSQL or mSQL

If portability is an issue: Choose Perl!

Perlīs DBI interface is highly portable. (Of course different SQL
peculiarities remain.) I am making CGI, ISAPI or mod_perl developments
that run on engines as different as

	MS Access
	Adabas
	Oracle
	MySQL		(much more recommendable than mSQL, btw!)
	mSQL
	PostgreSQL
	CSV files	(via DBD::CSV)

with little to no modifications under operatins systems as different
as Linux, Solaris, WinNT and Win95. Of course one needs some knowledge,
for example I had to learn that one should use only uppercased table
and column names.

Bye,

Jochen

------- End of Forwarded Message