[DB-SIG] Popy - Psycopg - PyPgSQL - PyGreSQL

Magnus Lycka magnus@thinkware.se
Tue, 01 Oct 2002 14:53:36 +0200

At 14:22 2002-10-01 +0200, Federico Di Gregorio wrote:
>they are all basend on different concepts (apart from popy and psycopg
>that are quite similar), so i don't think there is space for a merge.

There seems to be space for one merge at least... :)

Perhaps if you all wrap your clever head around this
problem you will after all find ways to unite your
efforts more? Maybe there are aspects in all modules
that aren't really so central to the needs? Maybe
some functionality can be offered as layers on
top of the driver? Maybe one driver can be made
that can be used in several different ways?

It seems that there is a potential for gains for
all involved if there is only one driver. (Or at
least one dominating and recommended driver.)

It's been a similar situation with Apache support,
with mod_python, mod_snake and PyApache. I don't
think it's good. Now mod_snake has been discontinued
and mod_python has been made part of the Apache
project. I think that is a good thing, and that it
will increase the chances of being able to run python
without all the CGI overhead in web hotels etc. I
mean, I see mod_perl installed almost everywhere,
and mod_python...never... Lets just hope mod_python
will be a standard component in Red Hat etc...

It's a better situation with PostgreSQL since it comes
with Python support included. But it's a bit boring if
the "default" alternative is the least good...

--=20
Magnus Lyck=E5, Thinkware AB
=C4lvans v=E4g 99, SE-907 50 UME=C5
tel: 070-582 80 65, fax: 070-612 80 65