[Distutils] Was I asleep? (Extension instance message)

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 22:45:29 -0400

On 24 August 2000, Mark W. Alexander said:
> warning: build_ext: old-style (ext_name, build_info) tuple found in ext_modules
> for extension '(module_name)'-- please convert to Extension instance
> Say what?
> I don't remember this on the list, and I can't find any docs, so I decipher
> distutils extension.py and make something like:

Hmm, I *thought* I mentioned it on the list.  There was no great hue and
cry, so I didn't think it was a big deal.  It is documented, but only in
the CVS docs -- I am still trying to work up the courage to beat Perl
and LaTeX2HTML into submission.

Take a look in any of the example setup scripts in examples,
eg. examples/xml_setup.py has:

       ext_modules = [Extension('sgmlop',
                                define_macros = [('XML_NS', None)],
                                include_dirs = [ 'extensions/expat/xmltok',
                                                 'extensions/expat/xmlparse' ],

which I think you'll agree is a lot more readable (and writeable) than
the old hairy list-of-tuples-of-dicts (or whatever it was) mess.

Greg Ward - Unix nerd                                   gward@python.net
What happens if you touch these two wires tog--