[Distutils] Re: [Python-Dev] DOS text files and CVS

Gordon McMillan gmcm@hypernet.com
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 21:47:30 -0400

Greg Ward asks:

> can anyone enlighten me on the right way to check in DOS text
> files to a CVS repository?  I have Thomas Heller's C source for
> his simple graphical installer for Python modules, and it should
> definitely be in the Distutils CVS tree.  But I don't want to
> check it in if it'll screw up line-endings for anyone.  Is there
> a Right Way to do this?

Well, if you checked it in from a Windows box, CVS would
translate line endings to native, then a Windows checkout
would translate back to Windows endings.

So assuming you don't want to get your fingers dirty, give it
*n*x line endings and check it in.

CVS does understand text, you know :-).

(And about the only Windows editor that barfs on *n*x line
endings is Notepad.)

- Gordon