[Distutils] formencode as .egg in Debian ??

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Nov 24 19:23:08 CET 2005

At 08:10 AM 11/24/2005 -0800, Kurt Schwehr wrote:
>As a person who works as a packager with a debian based distribution (fink
>on Mac OSX) I am glad to see this discussion.  I have no personal opinion
>about python eggs, but would really like to find a way to get some nice
>packages into the system and have been totally unable to figure out how to
>deal with eggs.

At the moment, easy_deb appears to be the most immediately available option
for creating debs that support all egg features, from both egg-based and
non-egg-based Python packages.  If I understand Vincenzo correctly,
easy_deb includes tools to allow switching the active package versions,
although I don't know how or if it relates to dpkg-divert and the
"alternatives" system, as I'm not a Debian user myself.

>I see the point of allowing developers to have multiple versions of
>packages when testing, but we definitely want to avoid that in the actual
>fink tree at all costs.  It would be great to have a build system that can
>switch between what we need as stable distribution packagers and what
>people want/need in their local trees.  My hope is that eggs in the long
>run can help the packagers track dependencies, but still let the packagers
>handle those dependencies.

On Mac OS X, we recommend that users install to
~/Library/Python2.x/site-packages, as this is private to the user and
already supports .pth files.  That way, they can switch between versions at
will.  See also:

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#non-root-installation

I would be happy to answer any questions or hear any concerns you may have
about how any of this works or how you'd like it to.  Thanks.