[Distutils] Windows web based installation of multiple packages

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Mon Aug 6 16:08:09 CEST 2007

> It is quite easy to use the bdist_wininst command to create a
> Windows installer executable.  A browser click on a link to
> the .EXE file allows for software installation, but
> easy_install is not run and the packages listed in
> setup.install_requires are not installed.  Is there a way to
> force the windows installer to run easy_install?
>
> If I were to create an egg, is there a content-type heading
> that would cause easy_install to process the egg?
>         (much like application/vnd.ms-excel) I could not find
> an easy_install entry in the registry in my test WinXP
> computer after installing setuptools.
>
> I thought one of these approaches would be fairly easy, but
> googling and experimenting have gotten me nowhere.

bdist_wininst is designed to install a python package, not to install a
python "application" which has external dependencies.  You may like to
consider py2exe, which is designed to create a stand-alone executable from
your python app - but even then, eggs etc are not processed - you are
expected to have all relevant packages installed on your dev box, and they
are packaged inside the app.

Mark