[Distutils] patch: ez_setup.py: separate default version and minimum version of setuptools

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Sep 28 22:49:21 CEST 2007

At 01:31 PM 9/28/2007 -0600, zooko wrote:
> > Not so: use_setuptools("0.6a9", "http://some.where/to/download/
> > eggs/"), where the URL is the base URL of a download location.
> > It's true that this requires you to *have* an egg for the version
> > in question, and make it available to download somewhere, but at
> > that point you get a usable result.
>
>Agreed.  So in order to automatically satisfy our dependency on
>simplejson using simplejson's source tarballs, we can either ask Bob
>Ippolito (the author and packager of simplejson) to please switch to
>the patched version of ez_setup.py and pass min_version="0.6a9" to
>it, or else we can ask him to please set his version="0.6a9" and
>start hosting setuptools 0.6a9 eggs for his users.
>
>Do I correctly understand those options?

Correct.  Although the hosting could certainly be
shared.  Personally, I have a bit of a conflict of interest in all
this -- i.e., I'd much rather that people upgrade to later versions.

So bear in mind that since it's already *possible* to do this, it's
unlikely I'll accept a patch that makes it *easy* for people to keep
using outdated alphas.  :)