[Distutils] Announcing the 'Distribute' project

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Jul 16 16:29:27 CEST 2009

On Jul 16, 2009, at 10:20 AM, Chris Withers wrote:

> My own preference would be "setuptools2" with the first release
> being version number 2.0. This makes it very clear what the package
> is, solves the PyPI problem and involves less changes in things like
> buildout (well, a few characters anyway ;-) )

Oh c'mon Chris, you know it /has/ to be named: setup2ls :)

<bikeshed>Seriously though: +1 for a different name</bikeshed>

> Also, what DVCS is being used? I hope it's Hg, otherwise it means
> another toolset to learn if I want to help out, which means me
> helping out would be less likely. (I hope you wouldn't see that as a
> good thing ;-) )

One thing I'd like to see for this new project is more built-in
support for the popular revision control systems.  I don't mind
writing and maintaining the bzr part of that, but it's been a pain to
have to distribute setuptools_bzr as a plugin. :(

-Barry