[Distutils] reservations about pythonv

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Mar 17 15:56:49 CET 2011

On Mar 17, 2011, at 08:36 AM, Fred Drake wrote:

>On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 10:39 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
>> I vaguely recall that while this *should* work, it actually doesn't
>> because once the executable has started, $LD_LIBRARY_PATH isn't consulted
>> again.
>
>I recall less vaguely, since we've had to deal with this problem more
>recently than your Solaris antics.  :-)  The loader consults
>LD_LIBRARY_PATH before  main()  is called, initializing it's own
>state, and doesn't pick up changes.  This makes a re-exec necessary if
>the new value is different from the original (worth checking to avoid
>an exec).

Thanks for helping bolster my memory!  I still think setting $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
won't be necessary in the majority of cases, so generally no re-exec should
happen.  I can imagine that if it *were* necessary, an appropriate section in
the pythonv.conf file would trigger it.  E.g.:

[env]
LD_LIBRARY_PATH: /path/to/add

[pythonv]
re-exec: true