[Distutils] PyPI classifier for standard library modules/backports?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Jan 2 19:40:05 CET 2014

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 11:12 AM, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk>wrote:

> On Thu, 2/1/14, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>
> >> "Progamming Language :: Python :: Python2and3"
> >> or some such.
>
> > How is that any better than specifying the Python
> > 2 classifier and the Python 3 one? One should specify every
> > individual version of Python that a project is supposed to
> > be compatible with anyway so I don't see the benefit of
> > knowing through a classifier if 2to3 is needed or
> > not.
>
> At the moment, if a classifier indicates that a distribution is both 2 and
> 3 compatible, there is no declarative way to indicate whether or not 2to3
> is to be run - only via a setuptools.setup argument. I'm not hung up on
> whether a classifier is used, but I think there should be *some*
> declarative mechanism. A classifier has the advantage that it could be
> applied to a specific release in the index without changing its code.

I guess my question then is "why do you care?" If 2to3 is run at install
time then it's a cost, but it's one-time and if you really care you can
always create your own wheel of the translated code or something. I guess I
just don't view the overhead of some packages using 2to3 to be enough to
warrant a classifier that only some people will use (it's hard enough to
try and get people to use proper classifiers for what version of Python
they support as it is).