[Distutils] PEP 440 on PyPI

Ian Cordasco graffatcolmingov at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 18:01:12 CET 2015

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 10:52 AM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> On 25.01.2015 17:46, Ian Cordasco wrote:

>>> That's short for comp.lang.python and comp.lang.python.announce,
>>> which are gateway'ed to mailing lists:

>>> Given how quickly things change, I think this would be a good
>>> way of getting the word out to a wider audience than the
>>> distutils mailing list.
>>
>> I've only been on this list for about a year. This PEP (and others
>> like it) has been in motion for quite a while. I think the blog would
>> miss far more people than the mailing list would and I'm not sure I
>> agree with "how quickly things change". There doesn't seem to be much
>> content for the blog and it seems like something that would just
>> become neglected. What topics do you really think would be better
>> suited for a blog post than a message to here and related announcement
>> lists?
>
> The blog posts could automatically get copied over to
> Twitter and mailing lists using e.g. IFTTT, and it would
> be possible to subscribe using RSS/Atom feeds.
>
> The advantage of a blog is having news entries persist and be
> easy to find, while at the same time simplifying the whole
> publishing process.
>
> Anyway, just a suggestion.

I still don't understand the benefit. You could just as easily have
the mailing list mirrored to a blog if we felt it would help but
distutils-sig has public archives and (I think) is indexed by Google.
Donald, Paul, Nick, Richard, Jason, and everyone else whose name I'm
forgetting are already working a lot on PyPI, packaging, pip,
setuptools, etc. I don't see the benefit in maintaining the blog on
top of their other responsibilities. Maybe if someone else steps up to
be an editor and take mailing list posts and turn them into blog
posts, that'd be cool, but I don't see the value in making them
maintain yet another thing on top of what they do.