[Distutils] New Design Landed in Warehouse

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sat Nov 21 05:59:18 EST 2015

On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 08:46:45 +0100
Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> Agreed.  The look of the average project page is a bit depressing:
> https://warehouse.python.org/project/six/
>
> Useful content starts only 2/3 down the first page. The large "pip
> install six" snippet probably doesn't deserve being that proeminent
> (or being there at all), and is ironically redundant with the "how do
> I install this?" link just below.
>
> I would also suggest a bit more care on the typography :-) The main
> body text here:
> https://warehouse.python.org/project/requests/
> looks much less nice than here:
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/requests/

To elaborate a bit and avoid misunderstandings, here are screenshots of
the aforementioned pages on my Web browser:
http://pitrou.net/warehouse.png
http://pitrou.net/pypi.png

Note how you get much more content on the current PyPI version, without
the page being too cluttered (some of the clutter actually comes from
the generic python.org navigation bar). Of course I'm not saying the
current PyPI layout is great and it shouldn't be replaced or overhauled,
but it does have that virtue of leaving most of the page area to the
project description.

(btw, I've shrank the warehouse font size a bit to make the comparison
fair, otherwise it would have been worse)

Regards

Antoine.