[Distutils] comparison of configuration languages

Fred Drake fred at fdrake.net
Sat May 7 02:25:45 EDT 2016

On May 6, 2016, at 10:59 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
> Here's that one-stop writeup/comparison of all the major configuration
> languages that I mentioned:
>
> https://gist.github.com/njsmith/78f68204c5d969f8c8bc645ef77d4a8f

Thank you for this!  A very nice summary.

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 11:14 PM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> While I personally prefer YAML to any of the options on a purely syntax based
> level, when you weigh in all the other considerations for this I think that it
> makes sense to go with TOML for it.

I expect either YAML or TOML would be acceptable, based on this.  I'll
admit that I'd not heard of TOML before, but it warrants consideration
(possibly for some of my projects as well).

I've spent a fair bit of time using YAML with Ansible lately, as well
as some time looking at RAML, and don't find myself worried about the
syntax.  Every oddness I've run across has been handled with an error
when the content couldn't be parsed correctly, rather than unexpected
behavior resulting from misunderstanding how it would be parsed.  It's
entirely possible I just haven't run across the particular problems
Donald has run across, though.

(The embedded Jinja2 in Ansible playbooks is another matter; let's not
make that mistake.)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.    <fred at fdrake.net>
"A storm broke loose in my mind."  --Albert Einstein