[Distutils] Fwd: Warehouse: essential maintainer features & next steps

Sumana Harihareswara sh at changeset.nyc
Wed Feb 21 16:35:27 EST 2018

Forwarding from pypa-dev.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Warehouse: essential maintainer features & next steps
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 16:29:31 -0500
From: Sumana Harihareswara <sh at changeset.nyc>
To: pypa-dev <pypa-dev at googlegroups.com>

The big Warehouse news: we're now at the Maintainer Minimum Viable
Product milestone! To quote our roadmap[0]:

> give package maintainers a solid chance to try out Warehouse and report critical bugs early

So we've started asking some package maintainers to test pypi.org, and
probably later this week we'll broadcast that announcement and request
more widely. Depending on the bugs we find as we reach out to project
maintainers, and on some infrastructure work, we may hit Milestone 2
next week, which means we'd reach out to a lot of non-package-maintainer
users, and start redirecting a portion of `pip` traffic to Warehouse.
More on that in our weekly meeting notes.[1]

Our team improved or added email management, account management
including deletion, better password management and email confirmation of
changed passwords to Warehouse last week.[2] We also continued to
improve developer documentation[3] and API docs[4]. And we continued our
cabotage work[5] and worked on some further improvements to Twine
documentation.[6]

I also want to highlight some work that Ernest W. Durbin III and Dustin
Ingram have done on their own time, as volunteers, that help PyPI.
Dustin's continuing work[7] on PEP 566[8] moves us closer to Markdown
support for README files[9]. And Ernest put a BUNCH of time into
spam-fighting on PyPI this past weekend. Thank you both.

Thanks to Volcyy, waseem18, alanbato, zooba, alex, and HndrkMkt for
their pull requests which we merged in the last week![10]

In the past month, Warehouse has merged 72 pull requests from 11
distinct authors (excluding pyup-bot), and has closed 63 issues (and
opened only 26 new ones).[11][12] We have 3 remaining issues between us
and the next milestone (the End User MVP), and then ten more issues till
we widely publicize the beta.[13]

So, we're chugging along.

What you can do:

You can help improve Warehouse; we have seven open "good first
contribution" issues[14] and a guide to getting started[15]. Ernest
wants to help you dive in, and to give you stickers, and has 30-minute
1:1 slots available.[16]

Please watch your email for a "hey please help us test" email to this
very mailing list. Please file general packaging and distribution
confusions, peeves, and suggestions in the packaging-problems issue
repo.[17]

Thanks to Mozilla's Open Source Support grant for funding this PyPI &
Warehouse work![18][19]

[0] https://wiki.python.org/psf/WarehouseRoadmap
[1] https://wiki.python.org/psf/PackagingWG/2018-02-20-Warehouse
[2] https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/milestone/8?closed=1