[Doc-SIG] Trouble using CVS version

David Goodger goodger@users.sourceforge.net
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 17:37:14 -0400

Dethe Elza wrote:
> I didn't realize it was illegal to have two titles with the same
> text.

It's not illegal, but it becomes impossible to link to either by name
because of the common name.  If you run a front end with the "-v" or
"--verbose" option, you should see a level-1 (info) system message::

    Reporter: INFO (1) Duplicate implicit target name: "Conflict
    Resolution".

However,

> The error I got was a looong traceback which ends:
>
> states.py, line 336, in underline
> nodes.py, line 667, in note_implicit_target
> nodes.py line 719, in clear_target_names
> if node.has_key('name'):
> AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'has_key'
>
> Which didn't say to me: duplicate reference.

That's definitely a bug.  No input data should ever cause Docutils to
crash.  I wasn't able to duplicate the problem from your description,
although it *did* reveal a related bug (and very tricky to fix too).

You aren't running Docutils from the 0.1 release, are you?  If you
are, please reinstall Docutils from the latest snapshot, always
available at http://docutils.sf.net/docutils-snapshot.tgz.

Could you please send me an input file and the command that generates
this traceback?  Please also tell me your Python version and Docutils
version (snapshot date).

--
David Goodger  <goodger@users.sourceforge.net>  Open-source projects:
  - Python Docutils: http://docutils.sourceforge.net/