[Doc-SIG] Translating sample programs in documentation

INADA Naoki songofacandy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 13:20:23 EDT 2018

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 1:36 AM, Xuan Wu
<fromwheretowhere.service at gmail.com> wrote:

>> It's difficult to distinguish example code and others on Transifex.
>>
>> We're targeting 100% translation on Transifex, but it's impossible if
>> example codes are included and Japanese team doesn't translate it.
>

> How about including example codes in PO files only when a language team asks
> to? So by default, PO files won't change for locales who prefer to use
> original code, thus your percentage wouldn't be affected.

Haven't you contributed translation on Transifex?

We translate from one source language (English, of course) to multiple
target languages.
All target languages shares one source message catalog.
It's difficult to upload special message catalog only for Chinese.

Of course, you can create yor own project on Transifex and upload
message catalog you created, which includes example code.

>>> Instead of just my personal preference, benefits of using identifiers in
>>> native languages seem to have been proven long time ago, as stated in the
>>> rationale part of PEP 3131.
>>
>> I think "enabling" to do it and "encouraging" to do it have different bar.
>> So I don't agree PEP 3131 is enough reason to do it.
>

> I'd rather not start a debate about whether the benefits are big enough to
> 'encourage' the practice rather than just 'enabling' it, because it depends
> on too many factors like language differences and personal experiences.
> Similar to PEP 3131, here I'm just asking to support such practice when
> translating official documentation, but certainly not enforcing it. IMO this
> feature would be potentially beneficial for other languages too.

If support it for Chinese and you translate it, all Chinese readers
are affected.
But the document should be maintained by sustainable team, not only you.
That's why I want team's conclusion before trying it on docs.python.org.

On the other hand, if you upload translated document to another domain,
you can try anything you want.

Additionally, it requires much effort of us.  I don't want to pay my effort
only for trying idea of just one person.

That's main reason I recommend you to try it on site other than docs.python.org.

>>> Pitifully I've not seen any active member from
>>> Chinese translation team here yet.
>>>
>> There is no official team yet, but there is zh_CN team on the Transifex.
>> See https://www.transifex.com/python-doc/teams/5390/zh_CN/
>>
>> I think there is an active community because there are
>> many Python developers in China.
>> Please build active language team there.  Without official language team,
>> we won't add Chinese translation to docs.python.org.
>

> I wonder what's difference between the official team and zh_CN team on
> Transifex? I'd like to see if I could help building the official one.

The Transifex project is used only for Japanese.  It is maintained
by me and @cocoatomo.  It is not official project of PSF or doc-sig yet.

Some day, people want to use the project for translating document to
their language.
I accepted them.  It happened before PEP 545.

So there are no strict relation between the Transifex project and
docs.python.org.
You can use the Transifex project, or create another project on Transifex,
or you can even create another project on other translation tools.

To build official language team, you meed to read PEP 545.
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0545/

If you succeeded to built team in China and you want to use our
Transifex project,
I'll assign the coordinator role to the coordinator of Chinese team.

Bests,
--
INADA Naoki  <songofacandy at gmail.com>