[Doc-SIG] Translating sample programs in documentation

INADA Naoki songofacandy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 23:46:48 EDT 2018

>> If support it for Chinese and you translate it, all Chinese readers
>> are affected.
>> But the document should be maintained by sustainable team, not only you.
>> That's why I want team's conclusion before trying it on docs.python.org.
>

> As pointed out before in this thread, there are workarounds if one really
> want to see original code, and we also started discussing technical ways to
> enable more convenient switching.

But implementing it is significant efforts.

> Clearly you want to avoid naming identifiers in your native language. Like I
> said I have no intention to change your mind, but I only hope you could keep
> an open mind to bear with others using other languages who want to try this
> practice.

You're misunderstand me.  It's not reason I'm against trying it on
docs.python.org.
My main point is it's not proposal from working Chinese language team, while
implementing it (language switcher) requires significant efforts to
docs.python.org
maintainer.

>> Additionally, it requires much effort of us.  I don't want to pay my
>> effort
>> only for trying idea of just one person.
>

> I'll certainly try to work it out by myself, before asking for help from
> those who are interested and willing to give a hand. Once again, I'm *not*
> asking other language teams to follow the same practice. Besides, based on
> feedback from this thread and the other one in python-dev that shows support
> for this idea, it's definitely not just one person's idea.

Technical discussion doesn't imply +1, it may be "deferred" or "-0".

>> The Transifex project is used only for Japanese.  It is maintained
>> by me and @cocoatomo.  It is not official project of PSF or doc-sig yet.
>

> If so, I'd follow your suggestion to create my own project on Transifex or
> use other translation tools.

I recommend you to host translated document on somewhere like Github pages.
We have it for testing, see this:

* https://python-doc-ja.github.io/py36/
* https://github.com/python-doc-ja/py36

You can try translating code before implement language switcher.

PEP 545 requires 100% translation of bugs.html, tutorial, and library/functions.
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0545/#add-translation-to-the-language-switcher

By having your own host, you can test your translation and get feedback
without waiting that milestone.

>> To build official language team, you meed to read PEP 545.
>> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0545/
>
> According to "New Translation Procedure", could I sign up as a single-person
> team for now, and look for teammates during the way?

Hm, if we accept you as single person team, what should we do when other
Chinese team proposing us?

I recommend you to start looking teammate and trying some translation
before sign up team.

Bests,

--
INADA Naoki  <songofacandy at gmail.com>