[Edu-sig] re: Python Briefing for Faculty

Arthinator@aol.com Arthinator@aol.com
Fri, 11 May 2001 00:20:23 EDT

--part1_d.1464084a.282cc287_boundary

Kirby writes

>In IDLE, I can assign variables and they persist, as do referencesto
whatever >imported stuff.  As I do this and that interactively, I make use of
these references  >-- I'm sitting in a pile of tools and they all stay
defined from one command to the >next (plus Icreate new ones at will).

I am and am not following you.  Certainly I agree with you as to the
importance
of interactive mode, especially when configured for learning.

Probably what attracted me most about Python initially was the  clean and
accessible interactive mode, where I could experiment and get my bearings.

But my own work habits now are a text editor I had gotten accustomed to
pre-IDLE, and IDLE  for interactive mode - often open simultaneously.
Never really gave IDLE a chance as my primary editor.  Mostly just inertia .
But I do see in it the design elegance I admire in Python, and love that its
all just Python being Python.

Based on my reading good code to learn coding theory, had spent some time
with the IDLE code some time back trying to follow it best I could.  Actually
got a
lot out of it.  Biggest challenge at that stage for me was sorting out what
was
Tkinter specific and what was general Python.

Have not used scintilla itself, but a quick look at the page indicates it to
be a
programmers editor.  So I wouldn't expect it to have anything to do with
interactive mode Python.

Which of course is always available to you through IDLE, even with scintilla,
etc. open and in use.

Anyway, think you should see my point as to why I don't fully see what you
are driving at.

ART

--part1_d.1464084a.282cc287_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>Kirby writes
<BR>
<BR>&gt;In IDLE, I can assign variables and they persist, as do referencesto
<BR>whatever &gt;imported stuff. &nbsp;As I do this and that interactively, I make use of
<BR>these references &nbsp;&gt;-- I'm sitting in a pile of tools and they all stay
<BR>defined from one command to the &gt;next (plus Icreate new ones at will). &nbsp;
<BR>
<BR>I am and am not following you. &nbsp;Certainly I agree with you as to the
<BR>importance
<BR>of interactive mode, especially when configured for learning. &nbsp;
<BR>
<BR>Probably what attracted me most about Python initially was the &nbsp;clean and
<BR>accessible interactive mode, where I could experiment and get my bearings.
<BR>
<BR>But my own work habits now are a text editor I had gotten accustomed to
<BR>pre-IDLE, and IDLE &nbsp;for interactive mode - often open simultaneously.
<BR>Never really gave IDLE a chance as my primary editor. &nbsp;Mostly just inertia .
<BR>But I do see in it the design elegance I admire in Python, and love that its
<BR>all just Python being Python. &nbsp;
<BR>
<BR>Based on my reading good code to learn coding theory, had spent some time &nbsp;
<BR>with the IDLE code some time back trying to follow it best I could. &nbsp;Actually
<BR>got a
<BR>lot out of it. &nbsp;Biggest challenge at that stage for me was sorting out what
<BR>was
<BR>Tkinter specific and what was general Python.
<BR>
<BR>Have not used scintilla itself, but a quick look at the page indicates it to
<BR>be a
<BR>programmers editor. &nbsp;So I wouldn't expect it to have anything to do with
<BR>interactive mode Python.
<BR>
<BR>Which of course is always available to you through IDLE, even with scintilla,
<BR>etc. open and in use.
<BR>
<BR>Anyway, think you should see my point as to why I don't fully see what you
<BR>are driving at.
<BR>
<BR>ART
<BR></FONT></HTML>