[Edu-sig] re: Python Briefing for Faculty

Kirby Urner pdx4d@teleport.com
Thu, 10 May 2001 21:42:59 -0700

Yeah, I think I was just knee-jerk responding to Markus concluding
statement:  "I do all my Python development with SciTE and prefere
it to IDLE."

When trying to demo Python to skeptical faculty, I'd want 'em to
see the interactive mode too (shell mode) -- and scintilla doesn't
do that.  When teaching Python to kids, I'd *certainly* introduce
them to Python in shell mode.

So my only point is it's not either/or:  fine to supplant IDLE as
an editor, but you still need a shell of some kind to take full
advantage of Python in interactive mode -- and an editor ain't
a shell.

I may go to scintilla as an editor for awhile, but I'll have IDLE
open in another window as my shell, as you say (so far I like it
better than ActivePython's shell).

Kirby