[Edu-sig] Python accessibility

Timothy Wilson wilson@visi.com
Sun, 27 May 2001 13:27:49 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 27 May 2001, Brent Burley and Pat Erb wrote:

> I would LOVE to see someone sell a "Python EDU-SIG Resources CD" via mail
> order.  I think it would make a great school project (hint hint) and could
> earn some extra money for the school.  I'd love to see the disc full of
> all the stuff that's been advertised on edu-sig - VPython, Alice, PyGame,
> Jeff's book, Kirby's math stuff, etc., and I'd love to see it constantly
> updated.  Heck, I'd buy a subscription!

Good timing. I have a student who has been doing independent study with me
this year. His final project has been to compile just such a CD. It includes
the Python software, a number of the major 3rd part modules, VPython,
PyGame, most of the common online tutorials and documentation, How to Think
Like a Computer Scientist, and anything else we've been able to think of.

I plan to hand out a copy of the CD to my Intro. to Comp. Prog. students in
the fall. Then they can install the software at home and browse the
documentation off the CD without tying up their parents' phone line.

Our initial version should be ready within days. I will create an iso and a
Web page listing the contents and make it available as soon as it's
ready. We'd be happy to make modifications, add resources, etc. based on
community input.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      |   Visit Sibley online:   | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS |  http://www.isd197.org   | http://www.zope.org