[Edu-sig] Properties use case

ajsiegel at optonline.net ajsiegel at optonline.net
Thu Apr 6 21:20:00 CEST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: Dethe Elza <delza at livingcode.org>

> Arthur to Kirby:
>    Are you a CS type? If so, speak directly.
>
>    If not, why do you feel compelled to speak on their behalf.
>
> Sorry if I'm mis-reading that, but it looks to me like "shut up,"
> which I find offensive, even if Kirby doesn't.  >

I wasn't asking Kirby to shut up, nor do I think he took it that way. What I was
asking him to do was to talk in a voice that was unambigiously his own. Its complicated
enough to talk with Kirby, without a sub-text of having a conversation with
other people who aren't Kirby, through Kirby - or that at least is what I was trying
to say.

>Perhaps it
> bothered me
> more because of this other recent posting:
>
> Arthur to Vern:
>    Are you an appointed or self-appointed redactor of all that is
> Turtle in the
>    world of Python?
>
> Which again, appears to be more of an attack than any attempt to move
> the conversation forward.  Maybe that is just me?

Its not just you.  Its me.  I was inappropriate, owned up to having been inappropriate,
and apologized.  That's all I could think to do. Happens to me every decade or so ;).

> So, Art, I apologize for my poor communications with you.  Obviously
> what I've had to say did not come across the way I intended it, and
> I'm sorry for that.  I don't bear you any ill will, and I certainly
> don't care one way or the other how you implement complex numbers in
> your apps. It was also a mistake on my part to try to address both a
> communication issue on your part that I had trouble with at the same
> time as addressing the question you had about your code--I should have
> separated those issues (or just not gone there at all).  I certainly
> did not intend to come across as condescending or rude to you.

I appreciate your communication here very much.

Thnks,