[Edu-sig] The fate of raw_input() in Python 3000

Dan Crosta dcrosta at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Tue Sep 5 19:28:37 CEST 2006

Radenski, Atanas wrote:
> Me too :-) I would like to see both input and raw_input preserved.
> Replacing these with more complicated (from pedagogical perspective)
> methods would probably give an additional reason for educators to look
> at alternative languages, such as Ruby.

I realize this is the education SIG list, but it's important to remember
that Python is not just for educators and students (though I believe it
makes a great language for those demographics). I used Python
extensively for scripting system administration tasks and interactive
scripts that our users would use. While hiding the input functions
inside the sys module wouldn't make life substantively harder for the
sysadmins, it might prove just enough hurdle to look at other options.

I will, for the sake of sanity and on-topic-ness, refrain from recanting
some of the great Python/Perl battles that the SCCS [1] has suffered
over the years.

- d

[1] Swarthmore College Computer Society, the group at which I was an
admin for 3 years. http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/