[Edu-sig] using Python as a calculator

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 01:06:30 CEST 2010

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Helene Martin <lognaturel at gmail.com> wrote:

> I humbly disagree that this is the right place to start.  I teach
> students with diverse backgrounds -- some extremely bright and others
> really behind in school and using Python as a calculator is one thing
> they would all agree is terrifically boring and not so compelling.
> How many students have ever said "man, I really wish I had a trig
> table right now?"

Yes Helen, I really do understand this concern.

It's a concern that somewhat worries me though.

Maybe the problem is students aren't being paid to be there.

Should we offer frequent flyer miles for assignments turned in?  On Delta?

> I agree that one way to sell programming is to incorporate it into
> math courses and maybe that kind of start is more appropriate there.

Ah, now I see the problem.

There's this notion of trying to "sell programming" whereas world class
schools already mix computer programming with math.

Speaking of which, check out this cool steampunk monitor:

http://steampunkworkshop.com/lcd.shtml

> It's not like I start with fireworks and fanfare but I'm thrilled to
> see Turtle be fun and compelling for students of all levels.  Most of
> them discover Python can do math when they try to see whether they
> could pass in a scaling parameter and guess that multiplication is
> probably an asterisk.  I mention order of operation and integer
> division and we move on.

My students know they likely won't be taken seriously if they boast of math
skills and yet evidence no ability to think like computer scientists.

Knowing how to program is just one of those "goes with the territory" kinds
of skills associated with STEM.

My bias derives from literature funded in some measure by
DARPA-with-a-backwards-R -- for "radical"  (a CP4E commercial).

Why is OLPC / G1G1 is so important:  to help kids elsewhere from suffering
the same fate.

> I enjoy reading this list and learn many interesting tidbits from it
> but, as I think I've mentioned before, I often find myself chuckling a
> bit.  A lot of what is said on here is so incredibly esoteric and far
> from my students' realities!

I teach Pythonic Math off and on through a nonprofit backed by Silicon
Forest interests.

The view of many Silicon Foresters is that the traditional math education
being provided in high schools is simply a forced march in the wrong
direction.

My students have been highly diverse, including a Goth girl who hated school
(wicked smart though), many with English as a 2nd language, many home
schoolers.  Lots of disaffected, refugees.

Those doing well on the calculator / calculus track may see no reason to
leave The Matrix.