[Edu-sig] using Python as a calculator

Helene Martin lognaturel at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 06:25:34 CEST 2010

(Speaking as a high school teacher with ~120 students in 3 different
levels of computer science courses in a public school in Seattle)

I guess my point is that computer science in general and programming
specifically have so much opportunity to be exciting for both the
majority of students who are burned out on "traditional classes" as
well as the minority of students who "know they likely won't be taken
seriously if they boast of math skills and yet evidence no ability to
think like computer scientists" (come on, that requires a high level
of intellectual sophistication and is REALLY rare).  I think we need
to exploit that opportunity to its full potential.

I steer away from purely math-oriented examples because they alienate
the majority of my students.  It's a tricky balancing act and I
certainly can't claim to have figured it out.  Selfishly, I'd like to
see the brilliant minds in this group sharing examples or ideas that
the average 13-18 year old would find exciting and worthy of further
exploration.  For example, a while back, Gregor Lingl shared a Turtle
Graphics example in which a turtle performs a random walk collecting
"coins" as it goes.  There are lots of interesting mathematical
concepts to discuss in there and it requires students to use a lot of
programming tools and ideas but it also has a "cool" factor.
Furthermore, the basic idea is reasonably simple to understand and to
see a use for (we can simulate other kinds of real-world situations,
etc).

I agree that we as educators are not entertainers and that learning is
important for the sake of learning but at the same time, we need to be
careful not to on one hand deplore the fact that students aren't
taking computing courses while on the other creating courses which are
dry and esoteric.

Again, I don't claim to have figured it out.  I say all this but at
the same time, I'm wary of courses which expose students to computing
applications without giving them many skills (programming/critical
thinking/math/algorithmics) or which rely entirely on one application
space (animation, games, personal robots, whatever) to be "sexy" and
capture students' attention.

I suppose it's all about goals.  One potential goal for using Python
in teaching is to reinforce and develop mathematical reasoning skills
and it seems like that's the focus of a lot of the people on this
list.  I believe that's a worthy goal and I try to accomplish some of
that in my courses as well, but it's not my primary goal.  I guess my
primary goal is to encourage students to see software as something
they can be a part of rather than simply as something they consume or
are forced to live with.  I don't have a ton of concrete ideas on how
to do that -- I think I've somehow crafted successful courses on
intuition more than anything else and can't really formally express
what I'm doing yet -- but I really do see it as a very different goal
that leads to very different types of courses.

And maybe I'm the only one who sees the majority of examples and ideas
on this list as esoteric!  It's something I often find myself thinking
so I thought I'd try to describe and explain a bit of my discomfort.
Not sure I really expressed myself very well -- sorry!

Hélène.