[Edu-sig] rewriting examples in python

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 17:51:07 CEST 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 12:11, roberto <roberto03 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 1:26 AM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>> i agree;
>>>
>>> also, i started this thread since i did not find any *introductory*
>>> and rich enough resource a school student can use to learn TA or
>>> turtle module or, broadly speaking, turtle programming in Python (if i
>>> am wrong, please tell me)

There are books, software modules, and other materials. We can work
together on a bibliography, and call on the rich experience of Seymour
Papert's Logo group and Alan Kay's Smalltalk group, among others.

>> Walter Bender and I are working on such things.
>>
>>> if nobody else did something in this regard, i'll be happy to do some
>>> work in this direction as soon as the school end, early june;

Late June or July for me. I have a temporary Census job.

>> What topics are you interested in covering? I'm working on math and
>> Computer Science topics.
>
> well, i am interested in working with students on introductory CS topics;
> by the way, this will be useful to introduce also basic geometry topics;

We can do a wide range of geometry, including Euclidean and
non-Euclidean synthetic geometry, analytic geometry, and graphing
functions; data capture; CS topics such as parse trees, control
structures, data structures, stacks, cellular automatons, and Turing
machines.

Then we show older children the Python source, and how to implement
their own Python TA tiles, and encourage them to join the TA community
and improve it, or to go on to the wider Python and Free Software
communities.

http://www.flossmanuals.net/

> thank you in advance
>

>>> of course, since my students are very young and with no previous
>>> programming experience, i'd like to start with TA

Good choice.

http://www.earthtreasury.org/