[EuroPython] what about september?

Tom Deprez tom@aragne.com
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 11:40:25 +0100

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Tom Deprez wrote:
>> Just wondering,
>>
>> How many students did we have this year?
>
> 21; that's around 10% of the total number of attendees --
> not really enough to warrant moving the conference date.

mmm, yes, indeed...

> I also think that Nicolas makes a good point about the
> day 1 use case talks: many attendees this year were very
> interested in solutions, so a larger user-oriented forum
> makes a lot of sense. That said, our main audience
> originates from the commercial camp. We should make things
> as attractive for them as possible. Ideal would be to
> make the conference suitable for customer invitations. I
> believe that this year's event has shown that EPC provides
> a very decent platform for commercial activities. We should
> grow on that.

yes, but thus it have to be a business oriented conference? I think we have
to keep it attractive for hackers too.
I more prefer to have a mix of the hackers and business people, although
seperated in a certain way. Like for instance the proposal to have day1 for
business talks.
More and more conferences become business oriented, while this is good for
companies, I personally don't think it is good for individuals who want to
share ideas with each other. Also, more business oriented conferences, tend
to be more demanding for the organisers (not that this isn't good, but we
don't need overkill).

> BTW, given the tight budget we had to build on last time,
> I also think that we'll have to stir more towards the
> YAS approach: no free entries (not even for speakers)
> and no funding for invited guest speakers.

Don't know... we made it more or less.
We had some problems (and did some mistakes), but that were I think 'growing
pains'.
I'm still in favor for giving people free entrance if they give a talk of at
least 30-40 minutes. Perhaps we could let the business people pay, even if
they give a talk, after all, it's like a sort of commercial isn't it?

Tom.