[group-organizers] meeting locations

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Mon Jun 1 19:05:38 CEST 2015

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 11:54 AM, Don Sheu <dinaldo at gmail.com> wrote:

> open job reqs in Seattle, with rumors that number will increase to 2000
> with the new campus coming on line in December. We consciously don't want
> to be perceived as a conduit for Facebook's hiring. We try to meet at
> Facebook at most once a quarter.

Speaking of which, lately I've taken to spamming recruiters who contact me
via Linkedin and elsewhere to let them know that I'm happy with my job and
they should consider contacting chipy-organizers (or other groups as
appropriate) to see about sponsoring the group in some way. I have no idea
if this has worked, but maybe it will one day.

I think I have it a little easier with perception with respect to project
nights and office hours that I run in that I deflect recruiters to the user
group meetings where more recruiting activity goes on. I took a page from
one of the NYC studies group where they did something similar.

oh and natch I'm not moving my hackerspace office hours around. If I did it
wouldn't be the same thing and someone else at the hackerspace would have
office hours.

I like the Braintree office in that they are in the Merchandise Mart. For
those of you not in Chicago, the building is connected by a walkway to a
brownline stop and it's in the loop, a 15 minute walk from the metra
stations, near by parking garages. And since it is a fancy modern building
(these days), it has easy accessibility. I appreciate that compared to my
hackerspace -- we are in an older industrial building and have no elevator
and people with mobility problems have trouble.

shekay at pobox.com