[Image-SIG] Help with ImageMagick-Python

Chuck Esterbrook echuck@mindspring.com
Thu, 08 Feb 2001 14:35:22 -0500

At 07:54 PM 2/8/2001 +0100, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
>Chuck Esterbrook wrote:
> > >how about *reporting* the bugs instead of whining?
> > >
> > >Cheers /F
> >
> > That's pretty insulting.
>
>And saying that a piece of software isn't suitable for
>serious use is okay?
>
>Lots of people (including us) are using PIL in mission-
>critical 24/7 high-volume processing systems.  Sounds
>pretty serious to me...
>
>On the other hand, reading your post again, you talked
>about problems, not bugs...
>
> > Second of all, I have reported some of the problems in the
> > past, such as the quality of image resizing.
>
>...and missing features can be problematic, of course.
>
>The resampling filters in the current PIL release work
>well for transforms and upsampling, but not for large
>downsamplings.
>
>Did you try the proposed workarounds, btw?
>
>Cheers /F

Not yet. I haven't done anything with any image processing for the past few
weeks, whether it's trying work-arounds or other packages.

FYI, my other PIL problems are:

* Lack of file support. Eventually I'll get to posting the test suite that
I was given by a graphic designer.

* And if I remember right: I couldn't save a GIF to JPEG. Something about
the palette not being right. I was hoping PIL would do the "right thing".
There may be a work around for that.

Cheers /C