[Inpycon] Opening registrations

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 19:52:08 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 9:10 PM, Shalin Jain <shalinjain at gmail.com> wrote:
[..]
> 1. Segmenting tickets
>
> I understand there is a large student group that would want to be at
> this conference and benefit from it. They cannot pay a lot and hence
> there should be an extremely affordable Student Pass. Exclusively for
> them.
>
> Student Pass - rs. 250 (Showing valid ID at registration would be
> must, badge will mention Student)
> Working Professional Pass - rs. 750 (Because people like me can easily
> pay that much, take away value from such conferences are much more
> higher)
>
> This can significantly help increase budget for A/V and other
> important things that will make the event a quality one without having
> to solely depends on Sponsors money.

There are problems with charging that high for a ticket. The venue
sponsor is right now giving us the facilities at a very nominal cost.
If we charge this kind of money, it wouldn't really work for them.

The registration money is purely to cover the swag and food. We're
thinking of the whole early bird thing to encourage people to register
early so that we can get approximate numbers.

> 2. Closing registrations Early
>
> Usually registrations increase drastically towards the closing dates
> for registration. And this not necessarily be the event date (minus
> one). In indian scenario I would say over 40% of registrations happen
> in the last 3-days before the registrations close. Having starting
> registrations over two months in advance closing registrations 7 days
> before the event would be an excellent idea. I would highly recommend
> this for volunteer driven event so that planning and execution can be
> smoother knowing everything about the size of your audience 1 week in
> advance.
>
> Being very clear about when the registrations close (just like how you
> are clear about Proposal submission) makes event last minute guys
> register 1 week before. How cool!

We could *close* the registrations a week before the conference (ie.
No more booking online) and then do only spot registrations after that
for a much higher price. The aim being to discourage people from not
booking online.

> 3. Alternative to Early Bird
>
> Discount codes are great alternative to having early bird. For
> instance, I would launch with discount code 'ilovepython' or similar
> while announcing the opening of registrations. This code can be kept
> to a max quantity of 50, valid for first 3 days with a cash discount
> of 200 rupees (on Professional Pass) pushed mainly to the mailing
> list, twitter and facebook group. (Just an example!)

I don't quite get this. Maybe I'm getting senile before my time but
this sounds a little complicated.
Does this mean that the first 50 or so people in the first 3 days can
enter "Ilovepython" or something and get a ticket for less?

Thanks

--
~noufal