[Inpycon] Development Sprints

Bibhas me at bibhas.in
Wed Oct 15 10:05:44 CEST 2014

On 10/15/2014 01:30 PM, Arvi Krishnaswamy wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 12:51 PM, Kushal Das <kushaldas at gmail.com
> <mailto:kushaldas at gmail.com>>wrote:
>
>     On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Bibhas <me at bibhas.in
>     <mailto:me at bibhas.in>> wrote:
>     I am the co-ordinator for the development sprint days in PyCon US. The
>     biggest problem for doing similar level of sprints is the lack of
>     upstream project/developers in the conference. We need more developers
>     from upstream projects to participate for this and I do know we have a
>     few of them in the conference.
>

> ​ What if we ran a sprint to take up a few projects where some of us
> are close to, or are already local contributors/maintainers and ran a
> short sprint?  Kushal - you have Retask yourself. Anand has web.py or
> broadgauge (pythonexpress). There are some of us involved in Flask
> related third party projects.​

Yes. To start with, maybe we can actively look for some projects and ask
the upstream to host a sprint. Maybe newcomers will see that and be
encouraged to do it next year themselves.

> This is a good opportunity to get people involved in understanding
> what it really takes to become an upstream contributor by being
> working side by side with us.
>
> I like this idea, and would be willing to volunteer to help make it
> happen. My only caveat is that we should separate this from the
> conference days since they are already packed with way too much going on.

Yeah. We also have the workshop day with almost empty venue. How about
we move the workshop day to the end of the conference and host it
parallel to the sprint? I'm not sure how that'd affect the workshops
though. I'm also not sure about the feedback of the workshop day. I have
never seen much buzz about it.