[Inpycon] Reg PyCon India 2018

Vanitha Shanmugam vani.pree at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 09:10:36 EDT 2018

Hi All,

My apologies for top posting.

Thanks for everyone who responded.

Just to clarify everyone here, I did not ask Hyd team to reconsider the
venue. I only suggested to start the discussion early in the mailing list
to give everybody an option to suggest things earlier which would help Hyd
team with more options. Venue and sponsorship prospectus were the examples
I shared to show how things would have been different if mailing list was
involved for suggestions as well along with final announcements.

team had made real good progress with venue and sponsorship, we had
confirmation from few sponsors as well. In fact, the sponsorship prospectus
which Hyd team had updated now was originally created by former organising
team. Please get your facts right before blaming others.
I have been contributing to PyCon India for many years, am one of the PSSI
board members too and I know how PyCon India and mailing list works.

@Ram,
1. Registration fee:
We have never charged for dev sprint separately till date, people wit
conference tickets are allowed on first come first serve basis. I feel
charging 2000 for 2 days dev sprint is too high. Its my 2 cents. If you
want to ignore this telling this is too late to discuss, please go ahead
with the plan.
2. You had sent me a mail after I raised my concern on venue selection in
mailing list to be part of work group and am not sure how your claim is
valid. And just to make it clear, I do not need a request to contribute to
PyCon India. If I had bandwidth to contribute, I would have volunteered
myself.
And, I would appreciate if you stop judging me. Its almost 4 months that I
resigned from core team of PyCon India 2018. My priorities have changed and
I have committed myself to other things where I do not have bandwidth for
PyCon India this year. I do not want to just join work group for the sake
of it and not do anything. I have contributed to PyCon India even when it
was not in Bangalore. I would request you to respect my opinions and not
assume and conclude things on your own.

@Mani and others,
I had responded already why I could not be part of work group, I do not
want you to question my willingness. I do not know you and I do not have
anything against you to attack you personally. I just went with how you
represented yourself in your responses.
Please check the mails from you (
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/inpycon/2018-April/011962.html) and
Chirag (https://mail.python.org/pipermail/inpycon/2018-April/011958.html).
Chirag's response was constructive and he justified the decisions taken
which helped move things in a positive way. But with your response, it
looked like you were not open for suggestions, want everyone to join
workgroup to provide suggestions and also called me hostile for trying to
clarfy things. Can you see the difference?

With the work groups, we can only have 4 to 5 people per section. Let's say
someone in sponsorship work group has better suggestion on how CFP can be
handled, how would he/she communicate? Likewise, people in mailing list
might have better suggestion too. I just requested the current team to
consider sharing the plan for everyone to have a look and suggest which
helps make PyCon India better. If the current team want to work only with
work groups, please go ahead.

And am happy to see the discussions happening in mailing list now and that
was what I was asking for in all my emails.

Am resting my case with this. I wish a great and grand PyCon India 2018!

Thanks,
Vanitha