[IronPython] Python Pages -- web application stack (like django, rails, ...)

Jonathan Slenders jonathan at slenders.be
Thu Jun 12 02:36:25 CEST 2008

2008/6/12 Jonathan Slenders <jonathan at slenders.be>:

> 2008/6/12 Tim Roberts <timr at probo.com>:
>
>> On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 01:09:01 +0200, "Jonathan Slenders" <
>> jonathan at slenders.be>
>>
>>> I'm working on a web application framework in Python, and just uploaded
>>> the
>>> first release.
>>>
>>> Now I quote from my own README. What it actually does is:
>>>
>>> - Provide an easy way to embed Python code into HTML, similar to PHP, JPS
>>> and other server side languages.
>>> - Make reusing HTML very easy. It uses concepts like master pages and
>>>  including of other pages as a control. This is a very rich template
>>>  mechanism.
>>>

>> May I ask what motivated you to create this from scratch?  There are a
>> number of excellent Python web application frameworks available today,
>> several of which have syntax and functionality almost exactly like yours.
>>
>> I'm not trying to say you shouldn't do such a thing, but people in the
>> world at large already complain there are too many web frameworks for
>> Python.  I'm just wondering why you didn't choose one of the existing
>> frameworks that was close to what you wanted, and become a contributor to
>> that.  Was there something you thought was fundamentally missing from the
>> others?
>>

> Dear Tim,
>
> You should know that I've been working on this project for about a year and
> a half. Apart from Django, I didn't know even one framework that I liked
> during this development. (Actually, at the start I didn't know about Django,
> later on I did and realised it was good but had my reasons not to use it.
> I'm not going to discuss it now.)
>
> All that time it's just been the back-end for my personal web site - I had
> never the intend to publish it. But the framework became gradually more and
> more extensive and since a half year I realized that it was well designed
> and could compete with others.
> Some of my best friends are very active Django users, and when I showed my
> framework, they also said that it was pretty similar to that.
>
> If you know that many Python web frameworks, I'd really like to hear about
> it. (I've seen several, yes, but some were very outdated and and not
> maintained anymore)
> Because I don't know much of them it's hard to say what I missed. But what
> I wanted was:
>
> - query parameters should be available as variables, but they shouldn't be
> unpacked by default as was in PHP years ago (I want to declare the variables
> that should be accepted)
> - It *should* work perfectly well without database. (at the start of this
> project, my hosting had no database)
> - code should be reusable with master pages like ASP.net does
> - when a master page is stored in another directory than the url's ("<a
> href=...".) should be rewritten in a way so that they are always reusable to
> the page from where the are generated
> - form input fields should be available as objects.

> [...]

OK, I have to take my word back. Django can run without database. But still,
it's totally different, it has a custom template language, while I'm
actually using Python itself als template language. Pylons -- what I just
found -- also seems to have a custom (and thus limited) template language. I
think this is unique, isn't it?