[Mailman-developers] Pre-release of new Pipermail version

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 10:39:34 -0400 (EDT)

Following up on Ken's announcement of a Mailman prerelease, I've made
a prerelease snapshot of Pipermail 0.05.  Hopefully I can do some
cleanups and actually write some documentation before finalizing 0.05.
You can get the code from

This is the first new release since June '97.  It's very, very
different from 0.02; here's an except from the README:

	This is a snapshot of the current code for Pipermail 0.05.
It is almost completely different from 0.02.  Version 0.02 was
simply a script that imitated Hypermail quite closely.  The Python SIG
archives, however, steered further development, since I wanted to
customize the SIG lists in various complicated ways.

	Pipermail has therefore mutated into an abstract base class
(pipermail.T) that provides the skeleton for indexing; you use it by
creating a subclass which defines methods to write indexes and format
articles.  The "hypermail.py" script is intended to be a Hypermail
clone with most of Hypermail's features, and it also provides an
example of creating a usable subclass of pipermail.T .  You could
further subclass HypermailFormatter, if desired; I've done this for
the Python SIG mailing list archives.

	In other words, Pipermail isn't a list archiver, though it
comes with a useful sample archiver in the form of hypermail.py .
Pipermail is, instead, a framework for building your own customized
message archivers.

A.M. Kuchling			http://starship.skyport.net/crew/amk/
But the really great eccentrics are all inimitable; they are not possessed by
a single oddity; they are, in their deepest selves, unlike the generality of
	-- Robertson Davies, "Lewis Carroll in the Theatre"