[Mailman-developers] Pre-release of new Pipermail version

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 10:39:34 -0400 (EDT)

Following up on Ken's announcement of a Mailman prerelease, I've made
a prerelease snapshot of Pipermail 0.05.  Hopefully I can do some
cleanups and actually write some documentation before finalizing 0.05.
You can get the code from
<http://starship.skyport.net/crew/amk/maintained/pipermail.html>.

This is the first new release since June '97.  It's very, very
different from 0.02; here's an except from the README:

======
	This is a snapshot of the current code for Pipermail 0.05.
It is almost completely different from 0.02.  Version 0.02 was
simply a script that imitated Hypermail quite closely.  The Python SIG
archives, however, steered further development, since I wanted to
customize the SIG lists in various complicated ways.

	Pipermail has therefore mutated into an abstract base class
(pipermail.T) that provides the skeleton for indexing; you use it by
creating a subclass which defines methods to write indexes and format
articles.  The "hypermail.py" script is intended to be a Hypermail
clone with most of Hypermail's features, and it also provides an
example of creating a usable subclass of pipermail.T .  You could
further subclass HypermailFormatter, if desired; I've done this for
the Python SIG mailing list archives.

	In other words, Pipermail isn't a list archiver, though it
comes with a useful sample archiver in the form of hypermail.py .
Pipermail is, instead, a framework for building your own customized
message archivers.

======

--
A.M. Kuchling			http://starship.skyport.net/crew/amk/
But the really great eccentrics are all inimitable; they are not possessed by