[Mailman-Developers] questions about gate_news

Scott Russell lnxgeek@us.ibm.com
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 12:16:14 -0500

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 04:59:56PM +0100, Jonas Meurer wrote:
> Hey ho,
> I'm new at this list, and I've a few questions about gate_news.
> It isn't working very well, so some posts to the group aren't fetched
> and some mails aren't posted. Can the problem be that the newsserver is
> connected only per ISDN and so the connection is very slow? So that sometimes
> the newsserver gives a timeout?
> Is this a known bug in gate_news, or is it a problem of my configuration?
> Im using mailman 2.0.7 self-compiled on a debian system.
> I've heard that gate_news is only a hack, so that it's not really good.
> Is this true? Is it better in later versions?
> And: Have all mailman-programs to be written in python? If not, I could
> try to rewrite gate_news in c? With a config-file where changes are written
> to? Out of it all, isn't c faster than python?

I'm not sure if this is a true bug or not but I wanted to report that
gate_news in 2.0.7 works for me. (tm) In my case the innd server is located
on the same box as the smtp server so there is no delays in handling
connections between mailman and the inn server.

I'm not sure I see the point of using an external C program as part of the
Mailman package. If you're going to do that why not just disable the Mailman
gate_news functions and use one of the many available mail2news/news2mail
gateway scripts out there?

--
Regards,
 Scott Russell (lnxgeek@us.ibm.com)