[Mailman-Developers] Protecting email addresses from spam harvesters

mac@wooz.org mac@wooz.org
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 19:23:31 -0500

    >> I'm not sure I'm ready to deprecate the roster until we can
    >> come up with a simple recipe for people to unsubscribe
    >> themselves unambiguously via the web.

    CVR> If you go to VERP (or more correctly, customized email), you
    CVR> can set up the footer of each message to include a URL to
    CVR> take them right ot the unsub page. Or then mimic lyris with a
    CVR> "you are subscribed as" in the footer.

In fact, when email personalization is enabled, there's a new
substitution variable `user_optionsurl' which gets replaced with the
url for the user's login page (which itself contains a big prominent
Unsubscribe button).

    CVR> Much preferable to hoping they go and find themselves in the
    CVR> roster.

    CVR> I think the whole roster thing is obsolete technology, and
    CVR> few users today are on lists that actually disttribute them,
    CVR> so few know they exist, much less think to use them. I'd love
    CVR> to see data from sites that DO promote them to see how
    CVR> they're actually being used.

Me too.  Until then, I'm making the default for new mailing lists be
private rosters.

-Barry