[Mailman-Developers] Mixed Languages in response messages

Simone Piunno pioppo at ferrara.linux.it
Tue Jan 20 18:06:05 EST 2004

On Tuesday 20 January 2004 23:41, Michael Heydekamp wrote:

> Well, I know that this list exists but having had a quick look into it
> it didn't make the impression to me as if this would be the right place
> for this particular question.  It's not a translation issue (as I can
> translate the stuff myself), it does more look like a code and thus a
> developer issue to me.
> I'm not too familiar with the format and the logic of mailman.po
> (although I made some successful changes and corrections), but it might
> have to do with the 'fuzzy' line here:
>
> ----------8<----------
>
> > #: Mailman/Commands/cmd_confirm.py:17
> > #, fuzzy

that "fuzzy" tag means this translation is *disabled* (the software wil
pretend it's not there).
The tag is automatically inserted by the msgmerge tool whenever a translation
is associated to a new original string using a best effort guess.
So, until the translator edits the file, confirming the fuzzy association is
good (e.g removing the fuzzy tag) and/or adding improvements, this
translation won't be used.
And yes, this *is* a question for the -i18n list, because the internal format
of a .po file is more familiar to translators than to coders.
BTW, try to add a -v when you compile the .po file, e.g.

 msgfmt -v -o mailman.mo mailman.po

You should see something like this:

 1196 translated messages, 18 fuzzy translations, 65 untranslated messages.

So you can easily know the status of the translation (the line above is
related to the most recent copy of the german po file I have on my machine).

Cheers,
  Simone