[Mailman-Developers] adding new features for site admin (webUI)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Jan 2 17:23:05 CET 2010

On 1/2/2010 3:59 AM, Kovács Zoltán wrote:

> I'd like to add the following new features. My customer is running 100+
> different lists with 500+ users. So my customer asks me to give a web
> interface for the following:
>
> * Remove a given user from all lists. If a user to be removed is a list
> admin, then a warning should come instead.

Note that as far as Mailman is concerned, there is no requirement that a
list owner or moderator be a member of the list.

> * Change the email address of a given user in all lists.
>
> I know that these requests could be done via the command line interface, but
> my customer would like to maintain these task via web.
>
> My questions to you are:
>
> * If my code is of quality, will it be a part of the mainstream code (from
> 2.1.14 or so)?
> * Is admin.py the right place for such an enhancement?

As has been pointed out, All new feature development is now focused on
Mailman 3, so your changes won't be incorporated in 2.1.

While you could add these changes to the existing admin web interface,
it may not be really appropriate because the web admin interface is for
a given list, and in general, one list admin should not be able to
change things on other lists.

I think a more appropriate place to do this may be on the user options
page. You could add a 'globally' check box to the unsubscribe request
(there already is one for the address change), and you could accept
these from the site admin without confirmations.

Otherwise you could consider a totally separate site admin GUI.

As far as contributing your changes to the community is concerned, the
best way is to create a Bazaar branch at
https://code.launchpad.net/mailman and make your changes there.

But, I would encourage you to get involved with MM 3. It may not be as
far off as you think.