[Mailman-i18n] korean translation

Ben Gertzfield che@debian.org
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 10:47:46 +0900

    BG> I've been wondering, which charset and encoding do you think
    BG> we should use in Mailman for Korean in email?  euc-kr with
    BG> base64?

    BAW> Good question.  We'll need to add that to the email package's
    BAW> Charset mapping.  I'm assuming the Mailman add_language()
    BAW> directive should use euc-kr.

Actually, if there's no conversion performed like the EUC-JP ->
ISO-2022-JP conversion for Japanese, you don't need to modify the
Charset package.

If you create a Charset("euc-kr"), you will get a Base64'd header
and body, because the default for unknown charsets is to Base64
encode them:

Python 2.1.2 (#1, Jan 18 2002, 18:05:45)
[GCC 2.95.4  (Debian prerelease)] on linux2
>>> from email.Charset import Charset
>>> from email.Header import Header
>>> from email.Message import Message
>>> c = Charset("euc-kr")
>>> h = Header("This is a Korean header", c)
>>> print h
=?euc-kr?b?VGhpcyBpcyBhIEtvcmVhbiBoZWFkZXI=?=

>>> m = Message()
>>> m.set_charset(c)
>>> m.add_payload("This is a Korean body")
>>> m["Subject"] = h
>>> print m
>From nobody Fri Mar 29 10:46:33 2002
Subject: =?euc-kr?b?VGhpcyBpcyBhIEtvcmVhbiBoZWFkZXI=?=

VGhpcyBpcyBhIEtvcmVhbiBib2R5

    BAW> Another question for andsoon: what do you think of the Korean
    BAW> codecs in the python-codecs project:

    BAW>     http://sf.net/projects/python-codecs

I honestly have no idea how to test the stability of the Korean
Unicode codecs, because I don't know how to input Korean. :/

Comments from other folks would be very appreciated.

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters I and S and the number 8.
"It should be illegal to yell 'Y2K' in a crowded economy."