[Mailman-i18n] Should we join the Translation Project?

Jordi Mallach jordi at sindominio.net
Mon Oct 13 07:17:37 EDT 2003

Hi!

On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 10:37:29AM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> Besides that Martin, do you have any other input which might help us
> decide whether to move Mailman into the TP or not?

Speaking as a translator with experience at the TP and as module
maintainer (for mailutils and nano at the TP), I think moving to the TP
is a good idea, but having in mind one of the biggest drawbacks:

The TP works with translations "post-release". This means: if nano 1.2.3
is released and it contains 3 new strings, the POT will be sent to the
TP after the release, and the translators will feed translations with
the 3 new strings added, but these changes will be included in 1.2.4. In
short, the TP, many times, works one step behind the upstream releases.

Of course, this can be easily solved sending a 1.2.3-pre1 tarball to the
TP a week or so before the release, so translators can have a bit of
time to update their translatiosn before the release. Not every module
in the TP does that, though.

Jordi
--
Jordi Mallach P�rez  --  Debian developer     http://www.debian.org/