[Mailman-i18n] Polish language template files

Stefan Plewako splewako at aviary.pl
Wed Jan 18 17:20:51 EST 2017

> Wiadomość napisana przez Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> w dniu 18.01.2017, o godz. 22:46:
> On 01/18/2017 12:39 PM, Stefan Plewako wrote:
>> OK, so the change doesn't solve any problem that I know off and especially not the problem of garbled characters in the web UI. In fact it hides the real problem making discovering it harder (not much but still) as some (touched) characters will display correctly.
> Perhaps I don't understand, but the OP in this thread had a problem with
> garbled characters in the web UI of a Polish language list which he said
> was solved by installing your utf-8 encoded templates.

After reading first post in the thread, it is not clear to me what exactly was replaced and if things were sufficiently tested after. Using files (not only templates) from https://github.com/aviarypl/mailman-l10n-pl is one way to display things correctly, using standard files with ISO-8859-2 web server encoding is another (official).

I don't believe that such post alone should be sufficient to change anything.

> This issue can be fixed in general by encoding the problem characters as
> html entities which will render properly in the browser regardless of
> the encoding of the page. That is the change I made.
> Granted, there may still be problems with characters from strings in the
> message catalog or in list attributes, but these won't be fixed by
> encoding the template as utf-8 either.

You did change only part of the things needed and can't really change the rest - the change doesn't make real (positive) difference.

> I think in the best case, I have addressed the issue described above

No, you didn't. We have non-ASCII characters in strings that replace placeholders in changed templates.

More information about the Mailman-i18n mailing list