[Mailman-i18n] Polish language template files

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jan 18 18:31:52 EST 2017

On 01/18/2017 02:50 PM, Mark Dale wrote:
> At the risk of adding uninformed comments into this discussion, I have
> installed and tested using the Polish language files in:
> 1. Mailman 2.1.23 release
> 2. Stefan's files
> 2. Mark's files
> The test was to view what a user would see when they subscribed to list
> that was using Polish - on the webpages and the email they received.

Thank you for testing and reporting. I think your report is helpful.

> The server is Debian running Nginx, with Postfix and Mailman 2.1.23.
> The email used to view the "Subscribed" emails was webmail and desktop
> "IceDove".
> When using the Mailman 2.1.23 release language files, the "question
> marks" appear in both the webpages and the emails.

I am surprised that there are issues with the emails. The emails should
be sent with RFC 2047 encoded subjects similar to

Subject: =?iso-8859-2?q?Witaj_na_li=B6cie_=22List1=22_?=

which renders as

Subject: Witaj na liście "List1"

and with the header

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-2"

which declares the body character set to be iso-8859-2

> When using Stefan's files, both the webpages and emails display
> correctly, showing the Polish letters with their diacritics.

And in this case, with utf-8 encoded email templates, the utf-8
characters should be garbled because of the charset="iso-8859-2" in the
Content-Type: header.

> When using Mark's files, the webpages display correctly, but the emails
> show the "question marks" in place of the Polish letters.

I didn't change any of the templates used in emails. Since they aren't
html, html entities don't work for them.

So, the change that I made replacing non-ascii iso-8859-2 characters in
the html templates improves the display of those web pages which is
exactly what it was intended to do.

What I don't understand is why the emails are garbled with iso-8859-2
templates and not with utf-8 templates unless you changed Mailman's
character set for Polish to utf-8. If in fact you did that, then you do
need utf-8 encoded templates and message catalog for Polish.

So the question remains, what is the character set in the definition

add_language('pl',    _('Polish'),              'iso-8859-2',  'ltr')

in Defaults.py or overridden in mm_cfg.py. If it is 'iso-8859-2' as
shown and not 'utf-8' I am at a loss to understand why your emails are
garbled with iso-8859-2 templates and not with utf-8 templates.

Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>        The highway is for gamblers,
San Francisco Bay Area, California    better use your sense - B. Dylan

More information about the Mailman-i18n mailing list