[Mailman-Users] Mailman questions (moderation capabilities, mostly)

Greg Connor gconnor at nekodojo.org
Sun Apr 11 09:49:14 CEST 1999

At 03:07 PM 3/30/99 -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
[Regarding how you actually do a preapproved list]

>The list is adjusted via the administrative web interface. You never
>need people to log into your machine simply to admin a list.
>
>The server admin needs to log in to create new lists and configure the
>MTA, but once a list is built... it's all web.
>
>This does imply that your moderators would have the ability to
>reconfigure the list parameters, so there is a bit more consideration
>than simply "are they prudent enough to moderate message content".
>Usually not a problem, IMO, because if they are moderating, then they're
>probably quite responabile and dedicated to a successful mailing list.

Totally side note... I can't think of a situation where you want to have
"moderators" who are not also "admins".  However, if someone really wanted
to do this, they could use Apache to place further authorization
requirements on the /mailman/admin/ urls, leaving the /mailman/admindb/
urls at the default state.  This means that the "true admins" would need
two passwords to get in to the actual admin config interface.

This is a variation on something Greg S proposed for locking down archives
to admins-only; you would use the <Location> section of Apache config in
both cases (and is still a cool idea).

gregc