[Mailman-Users] Find out a list admin password ?

Ian Jackson ian at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Apr 14 13:13:20 CEST 1999

I've just installed mailman (1.0b8, Debian GNU/Linux revison 3).

I created a test list, and due to me not having set up the mail alias
for mailman-owner correctly before hitting `return' at the prompt,
mailman wasn't able to send the mail containing the admin password to
the listowner.

I have two questions:

1. Are the mailman developers aware that mailman can lose mail ?  The
message which mailman tried to send (via SMTP) was rejected by my
local Exim because the sender was wrong, and the only trace I can now
find of it is in the various error logs.  The message body is nowhere
to be found.

2. What is the published, documented way of finding out or resetting
a list owner password ?  I can probably dig into python and get it out
that way, but I would like a proper published interface ?

3. What is the site admin password for ?  I deduce its existence from
the presence of a program to set it ...

In general I have a feeling that I'm missing some of the
documentation.  I can't find a general manual on www.list.org, and
I would have expected to find information like the answers to the
questions above in the manual.  So, what is the canonical starting
point for mailman documentation ?

I don't want to offend anyone by implying I think mailman isn't a good
program, and I realise of course that beta software might not have a
completely complete manual or might not always be able to rescue the
text of undeliverable mail messages.

However, I'd like to understand what the issues are with mailman, so
that I can solve them before I move the lists on my system to mailman
from majordomo.

Ian.