[Mailman-Developers] RE: [Mailman-Users] Virtual Hosts -- can mailman handle them better?

Tauren Mills tauren at servlets.net
Tue Aug 17 20:20:18 CEST 1999

Harald,

> > I have set "Host name this list prefers" and it still returns emails
> > with the main domain name in them.
>
> Strange -- this certainly works fine for me, and I can't see any
> site-global configuration settings that could somehow inhibit changes
> done here.  You're sure that it isn't your MTA that's rewriting the
> (header) addresses after Mailman has handed the message over to it?

I haven't had a chance to look into this more.  I'll let you know what I
find.  Thanks for the suggestion.

> If the Mailman-internal name was equal to the (preferred) email
> address of the list, there wouldn't be these kind of naming
> collisions.

OK.  That is the same problem I was describing.  Glad to hear we are talking
about the same thing.

> > Could the newlist command at least include options on the command
> > line for the list's default URL and for the mail domain?
>
> What do others think about this?  I'd really rather solve this once
> and for all with my proposed email-addr-as-internal-name and
> maildomain->base_URL scheme... but if no one but me think that that's
> the way to go, I probably won't bother :)

If the newlist command asked for the maillist name, but expected a fully
qualified email address, then I would certainly be satisfied.  But I would
still like to be able to run newlist by specifying all of the options on the
command line so that automating list creation is a little easier.

> Besides, I'm kind of swamped with real work right now :(

I hear ya!

It was suggested on this list that we install a separate installation of
Mailman for each domain.  This would work and would solve the virtualhost
problem.  But it seems like you are already very close to having virtual
hosting support built into a single installation.  I think I'd rather try to
hold off until you can add these features.  Can you comment on when we might
expect them?  Where are these virtual hosting features being placed on your
priority list?  Are there a bunch of other items that need to be taken care
of before you tackle virtual hosting support?

Thanks again for your help!

Tauren