[Mailman-Users] Exim/Mailman Alias problem ?

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at vdata.co.uk
Fri Dec 3 10:50:00 CET 1999

kirth at hole.org said:
> 	I followed the install doc, and the details on www.exim.org/howto/
> mailman.html but I have hit a problem. I think exim is ignoring /etc/
> aliases becuase every time I try to add a list I get this in
> exim_reject log
[snipped]

I guess I started the exim/mailman howto at a level assuming some of
the basic infrastructure was in place - I'll try and rehash it over the
weekend to make this clearer...

You do need a basic working exim configuration which includes the
domains that your lists are in within its configuration as local
domains (additionally if you have multiple domains and your lists
should only appear in one of them, then all the mailman directors must
also have "domains = your.list.domain" in their configuration.

The UID/GID given to mailman's configure, must match that in the exim
config file, ie
	./configure --with-mail-uid=x --with-mail-gid=y
must go with
	MAILMAN_UID=x
	MAILMAN_GID=y

The major bit that is missing from the howto (thank you for flagging
this):-
You do need a working alias director and alias file, which needs
entries for:-
	mailman-owner
	mailman
	# this one I think is purely because I redirect most of the per-list
	# admin mail to mailman-admin
	mailman-admin

I'll retouch the howto when I get time, announce it to the list, and
let you lot tell me whats wrong :-)

	Nigel.
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham at VData.co.uk ]