[Mailman-Users] Feature request: editable welcome message

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at cnri.reston.va.us
Tue Dec 21 06:48:01 CET 1999

    DM> Yes, I understand that, but usability would be enhanced by
    DM> having *some* of that MailList object information stored
    DM> outside config.db, I think is another way to say what I'm
    DM> trying to say.  In particular, things like welcome messages
    DM> should, IMO, be "external", because they change often enough
    DM> and are "tweaked" enough that it's a pain to have to
    DM> extract/edit/reload just to change a comma.

That's really what the Web interface is all about.

    DM> A slight violation of the purity of the object storage model
    DM> might be appropriate.  (yet another restatement of the
    DM> opinion.)

Ken has long talked about a cataloging system where there's a
hierarchy of attributes.  E.g. the site itself has a welcome text
template which is used unless the list overrides it.  Think about a
simplified Zope acquisition model.  It would be a bit of work to
change Mailman's architecture to support something like this.  It may
eventually get done, but it's not high on my current list of
priorities.

-Barry