[Mailman-Users] member_posting_only?

Andy Carpenter Andy.Carpenter at cs.man.ac.uk
Wed Feb 10 10:33:29 CET 1999

>How does Mailman determin if a message is from a listmember if
>member_posting_only is turned on?  I have had to turn it off for
>some lists that I just setup because messages that appear to be
>from listmembers (ie: From address matches the address that is
>subscribed) are rejected.
>
>Other than that, Mailman is great.  I switched from Listserv-lite
>because I was hitting the 500 user limit on the freeware Listserv
>and all of my users are exceedingly happy with Mailman.  Many kudos.

My belief is that it is based on the people listed as subscribers.  However,
I have found that when I did a mass subscribe to a list (in b6 or B7 can't
fully remember) and set the check box to not send notification messages,
the users that I added were created without passwords.  Then when they
tried to send a message to the list set for subscriber only posting, their
message was held for approval.  Setting the passwords for the users seems
to have fixed this.

    Andy.
--------
Dr Andy Carpenter
Department of Computer Science, University of Manchester, Manchester M13
9PL, UK
Email: Andy.Carpenter at cs.man.ac.uk Tel: +44 161 275 6168 Fax: +44 161 275
6280