[Mailman-Users] HTML messages

Christopher G. Petrilli petrilli at amber.org
Mon Jan 25 04:50:50 CET 1999

On Sun, Jan 24, 1999 at 10:52:04PM +0100, Tomas Fasth wrote:
> "Barry A. Warsaw" wrote:
>
> > While I find this very annoying too, under the Theory of Least Munging
> > I'm leary of hacking Mailman to do this kind of filtering.  I think
> > it's better to educate users -- in my experience most will reset the
> > defaults when the problem is explained in a friendly and helpful
> > manner.
>
> While I'm usually a follower of the above mentioned theory, I cannot
> avoid pointing out that HTML enhanced messaging is a minimum requirement
> in many places these days. If not for another reason than being more
> "pretty".

Having just started working with Mailman (and thinking about moving a
few dozen LISTSERV lists to it), I'm of the opinion that there are two
totally different user groups:

* Internet mailing lists (what I mostly run)
* INternal mailing lists

On the former, it is VERY bad behaviour to send HTML, or anything like
that, it's also generally considered bad behaviour to send attachments
(I ban people from lists for both if repeated)...  On the latter, well,
anything goes because you can assume most people are using similar
equipment.  Given I read news with Mutt on UNIX, HTML is fugly for me...
and most attachments are useless.

> Besides, HTML documents is only one among many types of attachments you
> might want to share with others in a mailing list, probably a
> non-technical one, but still...

See above.

> "Oh no, not yet another 12 megs of word document!" ;-)

People have been burned at the stake for less in this country :-)

Chris