[Mailman-Users] HTML messages

Christopher G. Petrilli petrilli at amber.org
Mon Jan 25 16:09:10 CET 1999

On Mon, Jan 25, 1999 at 10:48:37AM +0100, Tomas Fasth wrote:

> "MIME enhanced messaging is a requirement in many places these days"
> Many places ==> Where the alphabet consists of non-ascii characters.

Actually i see a huge number of messages from my friends in Germany (who
write to me in a combination of German and English) that are encoded as
ISO Latin 1, without any escapping... at least that I've noticed, and
that includes QP.

> Which is a whole different issue. Beseides, Mailman message delivery
> mechanism is fairly MIME transparent. The problem arises when you want
> to localize the administrative web and mail interfaces. That can easily
> turn into a can of worms.

Agreed, and at some point the presentation side should adapt on the fly,
I think... I'd also like to see the ISO Latin 1 character set adapted on
the fly to the HTML/SGML &blah; encodings :-) (If you can't see that,
you're mailer is confused! :-)

Chris